30 July 2010

Croatian Road Trip-Days 8-11: New friends in Opatija & Volosko


I'm combining a few days because I didn't take many photos during this period, the reason being that I was enjoying the company so much that the scenery was secondary. I don't know if it was luck or my obsession with trying to find the perfect hosts when I Couch Surf or a little of both, but I met some great people in Opatija and Volosko. The funny thing is I had two hosts, both couples, and they lived within 20 minutes walking distance of each other. It worked out great! I got to spend time and make friends with four awesome, dynamic people, each interesting in their own ways. I basically just chilled out, ate awesome food with new friends, and went to the beach a lot. I could not have asked for a better experience. I should add that they were all really knowledgeable about the area and shared so many cool facts with me that I can't hope to relate them all here. All I can say is that I will go back and keep going back until they get sick of me. I just hope they make it up here to see me as well.

Eleonora had a concert one night (she plays violin & viola), which was a lot of fun. She plays really well, as one might expect from a professor.
Before the concert we went to this out-of-the-way "fast food" place called Vietnam. They had the biggest
Ćevapčići I have ever seen. The food was delicious. We had a comical encounter on the way there when we were forced to ask a stranger if he knew where Vietnam was. Haha.

Here are some photos from Opatija and the small village of Volosko.



From the ceiling inside of the hallway of Eleonora & Marko's place.


Their back patio.


The poster for Eleonora's performance.


The lovely Eleonora is in the middle.


Walking along the seaside to Volosko.

Kika!





Paco & Kika.





Photos are available for download in higher resolution here.

No comments: