30 July 2008

Trek to the Tegelberg


I went to the top of the Tegelberg yesterday, which I found out is not the highest peak in the region: it is the second highest. (I was misinformed)

I keep asking myself why I did it and was it worth it? I still don't know. Here are some notes I took on my first break yesterday:

"This was much harder than I thought. I just stopped for a beer at the half way point of the hike (I think). My face is salty and my back is sweaty. I think it's the hottest day of the year so far. Definitely the most humid. (around 88F/33C with 85% humidity) *checks time* I've been walking uphill for an hour. Oh no, that means I'm only 1/3 of the way up. And that's after a 30 minute bike ride, too. Thankfully, I brought some lunch and there's another restaurant further up to boot. I must say I am annoyed by all of the people passing me the other way. Most of them took the cable car up, of course, so they are not sweaty or out of breath like I am. Fuckers. I wish they weren't allowed to go down the same way we're hiking up." The ones who didn't cheat!

After another beer at the top, I started to take a trail that seemed to be going down for awhile then started going up again. I was so pissed off, I ranted as I hiked back another 20 minutes to take the same trail down. I didn't want to take the same way down, but I had no choice. It was really steep and very rocky during parts. My knees took a lot of abuse on the last stretch down, which was paved but pretty much vertical. I never get knee pain normally, but today my right one hurts. I got on my bike a couple times today to stretch it out a bit, but my body waist-down is wrecked. And I have sunburn on my shoulders and chest because I failed to properly cover myself with SPF 20.

It took me almost 6 hours of walking round trip. Plus over almost an hour biking there and back. I feel a sense of accomplishment, sure. But really, if I had it to do again, I don't know if I would. It was really hard and the photos were good, but not breath-taking. Perhaps you guys will think otherwise.

The first part of the hike:
The first break. (Notice the natural arch):




This was one of the paths I could've taken up:View from the top:

Füssen from above:

Forggensee:

The descent:



Check out the so-called "path" I had to climb down:

5 comments:

ronnie said...

no, the tegelberg is not the highest peak in the country. that distinction goes to the zugspitze. i'm not sure if that's in your region, however...need to brush up on my geography. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/getaways/07/18/germany.zugspitze/index.html

Sonja aka Betty Tyranny said...

Your geography is fine, but your reading needs some brushing up: I said region, not country. ;)

Linda Loo said...

Wow, I think the views very awesome!!! Yeah, it sounds like a hard hike, but, at least you've now been on top to see fussen:))) Thank you for sharing stories and pics! :))))

msnovtue said...

Wow... I am so glad I found your blog. Fussen & nearby is my favorite area, and your pics are great.


(Don't mind me, I'm just turning green w/ envy...)

Sonja aka Betty Tyranny said...

Comments are always welcome! I'm just glad to know that people enjoy the photos! :)