26 July 2010

Croatian Road Trip-Day 2-Iški Vintgar (Gorge)-Slovenia

I took a trip to Iški Gorge on the recommendation of my host in Postojna. Funny that I didn't just go to the cave, but I'm not really interested in them. Perhaps because I'm a little bit afraid.

Anyway, I'm walking up this picturesque path next to the river toward the gorge and I get to this sparkling aquamarine pool with people sitting quietly enjoying the sun and the water and the quiet and suddenly this crazy guy showed up and started yelling at all of us and no one in particular. I thought he was mad that this guy had his dog off of the leash but no, he was just nuts. At one point he looked at me and yelled something so I meekly said, "I don't understand." in German and English and turned around. He kept yelling and everyone froze. They looked really threatened which made me think that this guy was saying some crazy shit. Judging by the reactions of everyone around me, I half expected him to rob us! Anyway, finally he sat down (among us) and settled down. Really bizarre.

I never actually made it up to the gorge part because I lost the path. It was still a beautiful and worthwhile hike nevertheless.

Tomorrow I will go meet the family in Brzac/Glavotok on the island of Krk. I haven't been there since the mid-eighties. This should be interesting.



A war monument on the road to the gorge.











The guy at the right of the photo with the red shirt was the one who yelled at all of us.

Some really bizarre insect.








Photos are available for download in higher resolution here.

No comments: