19 April 2009

A Bike Trip to Röthenbach Valley



I set out to Halblech to ultimately go to "Flysch im Röthenbachtal" which is a series of rock formations in the Röthenbach Valley. The ride was pretty easy most of the way, and I rode pretty far into the Halblech Valley before I had to get off of the bike and walk. Then I had to hike up for like 30 minutes, which threw me because I was going to a valley! But it was on the other side of a large hill so it took about 45 minutes to get to. There were parts of the trail that still had snow on them, which was irritating because I had my summer sneakers on. I decided to just go anyway because I rode 14 km to get there. It was pretty cool and worth the ride. It would've been nicer in the summer because the path in the valley was covered in snow and I couldn’t walk far.

I lingered for a little while, then set back with my wet shoes. It was a bit chillier on the way back and I was exhausted, but it was a fun way to spend a Sunday afternoon. A nice little day trip.



On the ride there


Somebody stacked up all these rocks in little piles next to the river. Really strange.








Bannwaldsee



Info: Flysch (swiss: float) is a special geological formation which was formed in the Cretaceous period. The formation was uncovered from the river Röthenbach near Halblech and has an age of about 85 million years. It shows in an outstanding manner the rhythmic recurrence of sediment cycles. Due to tectonic movements they have been folded and are now partially standing in an upright position.



Cheeeeese!








No comments: