30 July 2010

Croatian Road Trip-Day 6: The "Estate" and Cousin Neno




Rather than transcribe my notes from my journal as with the other posts, I'm going to write from memory since I didn't actually take notes from this day.

This was my last day on Krk. I went to the beach and afterward, Alen took me to see the family property. It's quite lovely, but rugged. We have some olive and fig trees, which is pretty cool, and the view is amazing. It's hard to capture the beauty of it in photos.

That night I decided to go see my cousin Neno who lives next door. I'd been warned that he was "artistic" but frankly, I like oddballs so I didn't see it as a bad thing. Neda walked me over there and introduced me. We spoke German because I barely understand much less speak Croatian. It's funny, but I haven't spoken that much German in one sitting I think, ever.
Anyway, Neno is a blast. He was an excellent host, too. He sent me away with two Turkish coffee brewing pots that belonged to my great grandmother, which made me really happy. He also gave me some coffee, strawberry preserves, and coffee cups. He also served octopus salad, which I had never had before. I must admit that I felt a little like Bart Simpson when he put the bowl of tentacles on the table, but it was delicious! I made a pact with myself to not turn anything I'm offered away, and it was a great idea. I also tried wild boar goulash and venison for the first time. Nothing like expanding your palate.
It was a great way to finish my stay on Krk. He offered to serve me coffee the next morning, and I accepted. Anyone who knows me knows that I do not get jacked on caffeine no matter how much I drink. However, the coffee that Neno served me that morning was so strong that I experienced the same kind of uncertainty driving that one experiences whilst slightly drunk.

I cannot wait to return! And please send strength to cousin Neno who had a cardiac incident of some sort a few days after I left. He is doing well but nevertheless…

The family property in Glavotok.






Cousin Neno and his woman, Karin.

Octopus salad.



Photos are available for download in higher resolution here.

No comments: