26 July 2010

Croatian Road Trip-Day 3-Risnjak National Park-Izvor Kupe/Source of the Kupa River

I took a side trip to Risnjak National Park (Croatia) today. I decided to take the trail to the source of the Kupa river since it only took an hour to hike to and seemed more interesting than the path near the main entrance. There was a family of geese milling about in the parking lot. Mommy, daddy, and like four baby geese. So cute. The path was nice, but there were a lot of stairs and there was nobody around save for a table of pre-teens who seemed to be on a field trip. It was strange to find a table of 20+ people eating in the middle of the forest. I was surprised at how small the pool where the source came from was, but supposedly its depth is unknown so it was pretty creepy nevertheless. I started back to the car, walking past the hunting chalet/restaurant/national park ticket center and waving to the proprietor. I get about 30 yards from my car and Papa Goose tries to get me! He bowed his head down low and started yelling and coming toward me. I went back to the restaurant and joked with the owner about his gimmick to get people to stay for a beer. And we laughed. It was a great day. I will arrive in Brzac about 7 or 8 tonight. I'm really looking forward to getting to the sea!
Leaving Slovenia: The cat in Postojna. On the road toward Rijeka. Bistra, Slovenia. Verd, Slovenia. Risnjak National Park, Croatia.
They looked so innocent. Passing through Rijeka.

A spomenik (WWII monument)
I ran into a guy from Ostallgäu (Pfronten) on the bridge over Krk! It's a small world. He insisted on taking a photo of me. There he is! My first look at the sea. The beach at Camp Glavotok.

Photos are available for download in higher resolution here.

No comments: