20 January 2008

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Oberammergau & Partnachklamm



Been waking up really early lately. Around 7:30. Going to bed pretty early, too; around 11pm. I'm feeling great! I think all this exercise and fresh air is doing wonders for me. I can feel the years racking back up. The years I lost living in noisy, polluted, hectic urban environs.

I woke up a little after 4am this morning thinking it must've been morning because the sky looked pretty bright. Then I realized it was the moon as it was setting behind the mountains. I got up and looked out the window. It was positively surreal looking. I could see the outlines of the trees so crisply as it dipped below the ridge. And the clouds were so thick that they'd obscure the moon entirely. When the moon finally peeked out, it was hard to tell where the mountains ended and the sky began because the clouds were jagged in shape. It looked like two separate ridges moving in the same direction. Really amazing looking. I tried to capture it on my camera, but I couldn't as you can see above.

The woman who owns this house is letting me use her bicycle, which is awesome. It was pretty humbling to ride it, though. I'm a lean, mean walking-machine, but the muscles you use for biking are totally different. I was huffing and puffing my way along during part of the trip. And my legs feel sort of rubbery now. I did over-exert myself and I haven't ridden since September so I should probably take it easy at first. The point is, it's great to have a new dimension of freedom. I've seen this town inside and out by foot. It'll be nice to be able to explore a little further.

Here are the rest of the photos I promised. I also went to Wieskirche this week, but I don't want to overwhelm you guys so I will post them tomorrow.

Partnachklamm:






You can get an idea of scale in this photo:











Note the bridge up top. I'll be taking that path next time I visit. It was too slick this time.








Oberammergau:







The rest of the photos from Garmisch:






Oh wow, a "hip hop" store!



Must've been a bad day for some poor skiier: