19 August 2008

Finally Settled

At last! My new place is feeling lived-in, I've got adapters for most of my stuff so I finally have a proper stereo set up and I feel really comfortable here. Not much new going on, just studying and trying to enjoy summer before it's gone. I went for a long bike ride on Sunday to a nearby town called Pfronten. It's only 10 kilometers (about 6 miles) away but they have a totally different dialect there. Speaking of the language, I've been working on that, too. It's really hard but I just keep working at it.
Today I went for a ride to Austria, which was cool. All this time, I thought the bike path ended by the world's biggest wheelbarrow (which we are the proud owners of), but it continues on. That's great because for one thing, it's the easiest way to get to Austria and for another thing, cigarettes are cheaper there and they have 20 in a pack, as opposed to 17 per pack here.
I finally saw a squirrel today! I was starting to think they didn't have any down here. It was cute and brown and had big ears. But there aren't any fireflies, which I just thought about yesterday. And no racoons.
Speaking of stuff I didn't think they had around here...there was a torso found in the woods last Sunday. Thankfully they found the guy and it wasn't some random freak. He killed his girlfriend. Horrible.

I hate to end on that note, but I can't think of anything else new that's going on around here.


This is what I see when I'm sitting at my desk.


Here's the Säuling (the highest peak in the region)



Panorama from my new balcony:

Here's the view from my old apartment. We often get this phenomenon here; clouds to the south and sun to the north.
A rainbow during a storm a few weeks ago:

No comments: