20 March 2009

The Road to Salzburg


First things first: when I was on the elevator a minute ago shaking my booty to "Too Many Dicks On The Dancefloor" (from Flight of the Conchords) I noticed that the cables must be pretty stretched out because the whole elevator shook! Mein Gott!

That's another thing: I keep thinking shit in German. I guess it was a good idea to holiday in Austria and Germany so I can keep practicing. Although for some reason, the phrase "Macht die Tür offen!" has been stuck in my head all day. (I THINK it means "Open the door"!)

And another thing: I forgot how much I love the food here! Being a poor student, I never dine out except when I have guests in town which is not often at all. Tonight I was reminded of one of the reasons I moved here and I gotta start dining out more. And the beer is always outstanding. I ate at a Brewery/Restaurant tonight, which I always find to be a safe bet. Sorry if I'm not making perfect sense, but I'm a little buzzed. Shocker. I'm not known as a beer drinker, but here it's another story.

Anyway, I'm in Bad Reichenhall which is about 20 minutes from Berchtesgaden, which is known as one of the most beautiful (and most mountainous) places in Germany. I started off around 10:30 this morning and I drove down to Innsbruck, then over to Kitzbühel on the way here. The drive was nice and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but honestly, it wasn't what I thought it would be. There are a lot of factories in the valley, which detracted from the scenery somewhat, but it was still enjoyable. I stopped in Innsbruck just long enough to take a few photos, but I didn't even get out of the car in Kitzbühel because it was ski central. SOO many tourists and the town seemed really cramped, so I just pressed on. I did some real mountain driving today, that's for sure!

Then I got to Berchtesgaden, which is a beautiful town, but I didn't look around much because I'm going back tomorrow to meet this girl Sara. We're going to get together, drink beer and cook. Can't wait! And in the morning I'm going to go to Königsee, which is supposed to be absolutely beautiful. Another thing to look forward to!

I gotta say, today is the happiest day I've had in a long time. Don't get me wrong: I love living here and all is generally good, but nothing beats being behind the wheel with marvelous scenery all around and hand-picked tunes on the radio. That's living! I have had such a good day…I jump back…I wanna kiss myself. Haha. Just kidding. All joking aside, I was grinning like an idiot to myself at the restaurant as I reminisced about the day I had and what's to come. Stay tuned!


Innsbruck, Austria:










Bad Reichenhall (where I am tonight):


The old salt refinery (Alte Saline)

The mural outside of the brewery/restaurant that I ate at:




This is just a candy store, but what a candy store! It screams at you from down the street.




Behind the candy store:
That is quite a Mozart kugel, no?


More in a day or a few, my peoples. I am in a hotel tonight, but staying with new friends the next few days.

No comments: