25 March 2009

Königssee & Berchtesgaden National Park

I managed to get out of the hotel by 8am and I drove to the Königssee. The weather wasn't great, unfortunately, but the lake was really beautiful. I took a short boat ride because that's really the only way to see it since there are shear cliffs around most of it.
There's a point at the lake where the echo is amazing. To demonstrate, this guy took out a horn (not sure what kind, but I think it was a flugelhorn) and played a song with the mountain! When I heard about the echo thing, I didn't know how cool it would be. It literally sounded like someone else was playing a tune with him. There's a short video below, but I was too afraid to go to the right side of the boat because everyone else did and I felt like it would surely tip over. The lake is over 600 feet deep and that sorta freaked me out when I thought about it.

After I left Königssee, I drove around the mountains. The whole area is a giant national park. It was really hard to capture the beauty of this place with a camera, though. Really, really hard.

And this was just the start of the trip! The best times I had after I met up with people in Berchtesgaden and then Salzburg. Stay tuned for the next chapter!

No comments: