04 January 2008

Leben & Liebe

It took me all this time to realize that the German words for "life" and "love" sound very similar. I gotta say, looking around me, it makes sense.

I'm still sitting here in limbo at the good ol' Altstadt Hotel. It's Saturday, of course, so I may not find out about the apartment until Monday. So it looks like another weekend of delightful strolls and dubbed American television. I've seen the "Simpsons", "Malcolm in the Middle", "South Park", "Scrubs"...but regrettably no "Seinfeld".
Oh, and also "Quiz Taxi", which is almost exactly like "Cash Cab". I wonder which came first?
I also wonder why television shows start on the :15's & :45's. Seems odd.

Now, I have a couple of questions for my German friends. First of all, how much should I tip in the following situations (if at all)?
  1. At a bar after 2 beers
  2. At dinner
  3. After a ride in a taxi
I read that tipping isn't common or expected, but I don't feel right not tipping, so I have been. However, I want to do like the Germans do...so let me know, wouldja fellas?

Another question. Is there no sales tax in Germany or is it just a Bavarian thing? I thought I paid sales tax last time I was here...

Here are just a few photos from yesterday. I went to the "Apotheke" to buy some saline solution. Talk about old school. And just gorgeous for a pharmacy!




And a couple from the "Baumgarten", which is the park that runs next to the Lech: