01 January 2008

Happy New Year!

Somehow I managed to delete a bunch of photos I took over the past couple of days, which really burns me up. We went to the Lechfall the other day and took a nice walk in the woods where we came across a group of old guys playing something like ice-bocce on a frozen lake. The photos? Gone. Pooey.

We also made it up to Amsterdam for a few hours, which was nice. It was extremely crowded, though. And last night we went into the town center and celebrated New Year's Eve with everyone. It was mayhem. A crazy amount of fireworks. A very good time. OH! And I got to try Glühwein for the first time! It was the perfect thing to drink while getting snowed on.

Here's the latest batch of photos (sans the ones I lost...dammit!)

Amsterdam:


Bike path next to the Lech River:

Around town in Füssen:





Sign for a shop on the corner projected on the snow






The only photo of Lechfall that I didn't delete:




In the town center of Füssen on New Years Eve:





This town is everything I was looking for in a place to live. The natural beauty is amazing, the people are friendly, there are many shops here, a train station...everything I need! It's quaint, quiet and cute, too.
I found a couple of apartments to rent, which I will hopefully get to look at tomorrow. I might have a new address before the weekend! I sure hope so, anyway.

I popped into a local bar on New Year's Eve and hung out with a couple of townies. They were older folks so I was kind of the odd man out, but they were very nice. They didn't make me feel that way, I just did.
I had a beer there and talked to this woman named Sigrid ("Top Sigrid" according to the old drunk guy at the end of the bar)
She was a little odd. I couldn't tell if she was drunk or acted strange all the time. She gave me her number but I'm not sure if I'm gonna call her. She was like 50 years old and a wee bit creepy to be honest.

Marino and I ate at a Chinese restaurant yesterday and it was actually very good. That was a pleasant surprise. We had pizza today and that was also quite good. Of course, we've eaten at about a dozen German restaurants, too. Every meal was great. Man, I love this country.
I spotted a "Mexican" place up the road. Needless to say, I'm hesitant. I'll let you guys know when I get desperate enough to try it out.
Marino's been eating so many gummi bears, I think he may turn into one. I'm not joking.

I've been getting a lot of practice with the language. I feel much more confident now. Everyone is so nice and encouraging about it, and that makes it fun to learn.