14 May 2008

Walled Medieval Towns + Update

I'm not going to lie: shit is tough over here. But I'm pressing on, like I always do. Thankfully, my good friend Joe was here for two weeks and he helped me over the rough part. Hopefully the roughest part. I won't bore you guys with the details, but let's just say that my plans to study and not work will only be half-fulfilled. It looks like I have to get a job. I guess I should look on the bright side. The Euro is so strong that will be living cheaper than I was back in Chicago, relatively speaking. Plus, it will help me with the language, meeting people and all that jazz. Although meeting people is becoming less of a problem.
I've been frequenting this local club/tavern every Friday for the past four weeks. It's so cheap to drink there, and the beers are so big that I only end up drinking two. Every week there are new people there, as well as a few regulars. The owner is really cool, too. It's not the same as hanging out with my friends back in Chicago, that's for sure. I miss everyone terribly. But it's nice to be meeting some new people and getting the flavor of the town. Apparently, there's a small section of Füssen that is referred to as *cough* "little Chicago". I won't even address that.

Last week, thanks to Joe, we took a mini-roadtrip up to Wertheim and back, stopping in several towns. Half of the places we went to were places I visited last summer. I figure, why not go with what you know so at least half of the trip will be a sure bet. And it was. Although, we couldn't climb to the top of Burg Wertheim to take in the view, because it was closed: that was a bummer.

We visited all three of the medieval walled towns in Germany, as well as Ulm. I still love that city. If I ever get bored of small town living, but don't want to move back to Chicago, I think I'll move there.

Right now I'm just trying to keep my head up and hustle to make some bread. I'm pretty good at getting by, but right now I have to be EXCELLENT. Pray for me, people! Bitte!

Here are some new photos!


Nördlingen





Dinkelsbühl












Rothenburg







Wertheim













I went to Munich with Joe to see him off at the airport, and since I was there I decided to look around again. Here are a few photos. I'll post more in a few days.





No comments: