23 April 2012

Prague Road Trip Part 2



Where were we...so, as we crossed into the Czech Republic I was reminded of how acutely aware I was of crossing the border the first time I went there. It is a very different country than Germany. The cute little villages are replaced by slabs of concrete, ill-painted, crumbling housing blocks and the quality of the road suddenly fails. We saw a sign with two grim reapers on it that warned of something but who knows what?

More horrifying still was the “WRONG WAY” sign we encountered at an expressway entrance with no other significant markings, which as it turned out was just some cleverly-placed graffiti. Terrified and with no blood in my legs, it took me a good thirty minutes to recover from that joke. Those brilliant assholes. We decided then that the Czech people were out to get us. Speaking of that, I remembered from my first trip that the folks can be a bit cold. Not judging, just making an observation.

So as far as Prague went, we rambled around town, seeking out bars and good food. The good food was pretty difficult to find, but the bars were great. We stumbled into a few notable spots: one that was underground in cave-like setting, another that was in a school, and another where we took advantage of the lax smoky-goodness laws.

The only food that was memorable were the dumplings I had at this off-the-beaten-path brewery we went to that specialized in unfiltered, on-premises brew. I tried sour cherry (delicious) and nettle (innnnteresting) beer, apple strudel, and amazing fruit-filled dumplings that put mine to shame. It was the most memorable meal of the trip.

To put it in a nutshell, I will remember Prague for its unrefined charm; generally cold, suspicious population; great bars in schools and caves; smoky goodness; great architecture (had to say it again); food not worth mentioning (apart from the shaming dumplings); tons of tourists; prostitutes in wooded areas; and a cute little mole.


Breakfast with the giraffes, Pete, and Vin. (The giraffes are those bong-looking things behind them)
The Dvorak house
A cathedral up on the hill




David Černý babies








Sunset on the Charles bridge








Regensburg, Germany






















And that was our trip! A success all the way around. 

2 comments:

Tamara's Mommy said...

Wonderful pictures. Looks like a great trip.

Anonymous said...


Hello there,

I have really enjoyed reading through your blog. You have some really nice stuff here and I do hope you will carry on writing.

I am looking for passionate writers to join our community of bloggers and I was wondering whether you would consider sharing your posts on Glipho and become a member?

It might be a good idea to give your writing and your blog more exposure while having fun and meeting fellow writers.

Please check us out at http://glipho.com and drop me a line at hubert@glipho.com for any questions.

Best!
Hubert