26 January 2012

Stockholm, Sweden Part One




Freezing and walking, freezing and walking, that was how my first couple of days went. I’d forgotten how strenuous it can be to explore a new city. It was probably around 10 degrees the first couple of days I was there and it was light out for about 6-7 hours a day (no sun). But I don’t mean to make it sound bad. I really enjoyed Stockholm! You never know how you’ll feel about a city until you’re actually there. It’s the intangiables that make a city great, so I’m not going to try to tell you about it. As usual, most of my trip will be conveyed via photos.

Knowing that I will be returning, I chose to focus on just a couple of parts of town/islands on this trip. I’d rather get to know a few places well than spread myself too thin. Day one is--surprise, surprise--the old town aka Gamla stan. It’s not the best set of photos; the ones coming up will be better.

A couple of observations. There seem to be little frozen waterfalls everywhere there are rocks protruding from the earth; I heard the Wu-Tang Clan on Swedish radio nestled between crappy pop songs (WTF); mailmen wear shorts in below-freezing temperatures; there were a lot of naked mannequins in store windows (what’s up with that?); and grocery stores are as quiet as libraries. That is all for now. 







Ice skating in the park.




The prerequisite Gamla Stan/old town shots.












Castle guards.








The little cobbled lanes we Americans love so much.






Shouldn't he be hibernating somewhere?












Homemade die.


A few shots from the island of Södermalm.





I didn't realize I was being watched.




Tiniest benches ever.

Strange, bumpy ice that seems to be in patches on the grass all around town.


Stone floor lamp.

Downtown in the morning.


No comments: