07 January 2010

Czech Republic-Uherské Hradiště



The drive to the Czech Republic was a bit of a disaster. There was a debacle with the GPS system in the rental car which added several hours to my trip. Then the weather changed and it started to snow, which added another several hours. By the time I arrived at David's house in Uherské Hradiště it was just after 1 am. Thankfully, he's a night owl, too, so we set off to a couple of bars right away where I enjoyed some delicious Czech beer.
The next day, David, his house mates Válec & Verča and I took a drive to this hill near the center of town where there's an old chapel and some vineyards. I'm a little upset that the weather was so bleak on my first day in Eastern Europe; such a cliché. And it was difficult to really enjoy the view that the walk up the hill should've afforded.
Later in the day, David and I prepared some ham dumplings, which are traditional Czech fare. Then we set off to the Christmas market in the center of town. On the way there, we stopped at a construction site where Válec is the boss, so we got to climb up onto the roof to get the full panoramic view. Again, it's a shame the weather wasn't nicer.

After that, we had a nice dinner, and ultimately ended up at a punk rock show. It was fun, although I must admit I felt a little old there. I think the roadie and I were the oldest people there. After the show, we all headed back to the house for a few more drinks. That was probably my favorite part of the whole trip. Hanging out with my hosts, drinking, smoking, and trying to communicate using three languages at once. I had a really great time in the Czech Republic, thanks mostly to David, Válec & Verča.

The sun setting as I finally left Munich after exchanging the GPS:















David up on the roof:


The ladder I had to climb down. Gotta say, it was a bit scary:




The Christmas market:



After the punk show:


My gracious hosts-Válec, David & Verča:


Day two of my trip, including Pelhřimov, Český Krumlov & Bad Tölz will follow!

No comments: